Monday, March 24, 2014

Zucchini Chutney | Side dish for Idli, Dosa


Its spring time here in US and I just love the climate. The sun shines throughout the day and this is the best time for all outdoor activities. I find lots and lots of spring vegetables in the market. I had already tried few spring veggies in our tamil dishes. Check my Asparagus Chutney here. One veggie which attracted me this time is Zucchini. This a late spring and early summer veggie, but I found few in my market in cheaper rates now. So I grabbed one and tried to make chutney with that.   


Preparation and cooking time: 5-7 mins
Serves 3-4

Ingredients

1 Zucchini
1 onion
2 tomatoes
2-3 green chillies
½ inch ginger sliced
Tamarind (optional)
Salt (to taste)

To temper

1 tsp oil
½ tsp mustard seeds
¾ tsp urad dal
1-2 red chillies (optional)
Pinch of asafoetida
Curry leaves

How to make it

  • Roughly chop onions and tomatoes and slit the green chillies.


  • Peel the outer skin of zucchini and chop it roughly.
  • In a pan heat little of oil and sauté onions, till light brown. Add green chillies and ginger.
  • Sauté them well and then add the chopped tomatoes.


  • Cook the tomatoes mushy, add salt as needed. Finally add zucchini and keep for 2mins.

  • Allow it to cool and blend it in a blender/mixie into a smooth paste like chutney.

  • Temper the items given and mix well.
  • Serve with idli or dosa.



No comments:

Post a Comment