Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Andhra Pesarattu | Green Gram Dosai Recipe


I was waiting for a long time to make pesarattu and blog it. TH doesn’t like it and he never gave me an option of making it. And now it is my turn. No time to make a batter for idli or dosa, here comes the pesarattu… It will definitely help you, trust me. It doesn’t require fermentation time. You can grind the green gram and make the dosa as such. You can even store the batter for days. 




 I haven’t tasted this delicious recipe, since I went to Hyderabad. I must thank the Telegu fren of mine for introducing me to this recipe. We were roaming in the streets of Hyderabad searching for a perfect breakfast after a tiresome journey.  We wanted to taste something different and authentic food of Hyderabad and she called me for a road-side shop making hot and spicy pesarattu. That was the time I got mesmerized. Yes!!! I must use the word mesmerize.  It was really awesome. 


We went to the shop, where we need to stand and eat at the corner of the road. The best part is, I can able to see the way he is making the pesarattu. It was very neat and clean. The way he is trained to make a pesarattu was unbelievable. He makes around 5-7 pesarattu in a minute or so. It was served with a filling of upma inside and hot ginger chutney to the sides. From that day I would never ever miss the chance of having pesarattu whenever I visit Hyderabad.


Check out the Tomato Thokku Recipe which I served with Pesarattu.

Preparation time: 4-5 hours 
Cooking time: 2-3 minutes

Ingredients

1 cup green gram
1 tbsp raw rice
1 onion (finely chopped)
1tsp cumin seeds (optional)
1-2 green chillies
½ inch ginger
Fistful coriander leaves
Water (as required)
Salt (to taste)
Oil

How to make it

  • Wash and soak green gram and raw rice in water for 4-5 hours. 
  • Drain the water (if u have some and reserve for making the batter) and grind along with coriander leaves, green chillies and ginger like a dosa batter. If u wishes to make like Adai, make the batter a little thick. For grinding, sprinkle the water (which is reserved) in between. Don’t over pour the water. Add salt to the batter and keep aside.


  • In a pan heat ½ tsp oil and add cumin seeds. Sauté the onions for few mins and keep aside.
  • Heat a dosa tawa, take a ladle full of batter and make like a dosa. Drizzle oil to the sides and sprinkle the sautéed onion-cumin on top. Do not flip the dosa to other side. Fold it and transfer to the serving plate.




Notes
  1. Green gram doesn’t require much water to make like a batter. So carefully add the water. Use tea spoon for adding water.
  2. Do not flip the dosa to the other side. Bottom of the dosa should be in dark brown and the upside portion must be soft. Cover with the lid to cook the top. 
  3. Adjust the green chillies to ur spice level.
  4. Adding cumin and onions on top is completely optional.



No comments:

Post a Comment