Thursday, May 23, 2013

Tomato Rasam - Thakkali Rasam Recipe


I always make rasam on all laze Mondays. TH can live his entire life eating rasam and potato-garlic fry. Most of the days I make a simple pepper rasam which he loves to have. I wanted to learn some more varieties of rasam and asked amma. And this time I got this recipe from my appa. I must say, he is the only person to make a rasam so authentic. In my childhood if amma is not at home or not well, appa makes the spiciest rasam, sambar and a fry. We loved eating dat for the entire day… *smile* woooofff!!! Enough of the stories or else I’ll go home-sick…:( and here the recipe comes from my appa…!!!


Preparation time: 3-5 minutes
Cooking time: 6-8 minutes

Ingredients

1tsp thick tamarind paste
2 big size tomatoes
½ tsp turmeric powder
2 tbsp rasam powder
Salt
Oil
Coriander leaves (to garnish)

 To temper

½ tsp mustard seeds
2-3 red chillies
Generous pinch of hing/asofoetida
Few curry leaves

Method

  • Blanch the tomatoes in hot water and cool down. Blend in a mixer into a smooth paste.
  • Add salt and tamarind paste to it. Add 2 cups of water and mix well. Keep aside.
  • In a sauce pan heat oil and temper the items given.
  • Add the tomato paste and allow it to boil.
  • Once it starts boiling, add turmeric powder and rasam powder.

  • Garnish with coriander leaves.  
  • Serve hot with steamed rice.



Notes:

  1. Adding cooked toor dal to the rasam enhances the flavor.
  2. Don’t allow the rasam to boil too much after adding the rasam powder.


3 comments: